- Grig Gheorghiu has a series of three blog posts comparing these three testing suites/packages: doctest, unittest, and pytest.
- doctest: Software tests that are part of a routine’s documentation. Package is part of the Python Standard Library.
- nose: Extends unittest. Automatically discovers and runs your tests.
- pytest: Discovery-based and full-featured.
- unittest (a.k.a., PyUnit): Highly structured and complete testing package that is part of the Python Standard Library.
- tox: Front-end to continuous integration servers.
- virtualenv: Virtual Python environment (can be used for testing mixes of dependencies).