You can use just a text editor and the Unix command-line to develop in Python, but a number of development environments make the job easier and extend your development capabilities:
- IDLE: The default development environment that comes with every Python distribution
- IPython: An enhanced interactive input/output experience that emulates a Mathematica notebook
- PyCharm: From the website: “The Most Intelligent Python IDE”
- Python(x,y): From the website: “Scientific-oriented Python Distribution based on Qt and Eclipse.” The link refers to the Windows version; go here for the GNU/Linux version.
- Spyder: Interactive development environment for scientific users
Collaboration tools, Agile programming and development tools, etc.